Please note, Kindergarten enrolment is via a Central Enrolment System at City of Ballarat – ph: 5320 5500. The school has information / enrolment packs that can be posted out, picked up from school or easily downloaded from this website. School Tours are offered at semi-frequent intervals ie up to twice per term. Please contact the office to book your place, +613 5334 6328. Foundation students for the next school year undertake a series of three Transition days each year. Again, dates can be obtained from the school office on the aforementioned phone number. The three transition days follow the below format:
- Day One = one hour for students in class time, 9.30-10.30am. Parents attend a talk from the Principal based on “School Readiness” for your child/ren with morning tea provided by our Parents & Friends Association (PFA)
- Day Two = one hour for students in class time, 9.30-10.30am. Parents are invited to remain at the school in the Staffroom to enjoy a PFA provided morning tea
- Day Three = usually aligned with the National Transition Day for all schools ie early December. Three hour visit, 9.30-12.30. Students attend new official class for the following year, meeting their teacher and room-mates as well as sitting in their actual room. Parents attend a presentation from the Principal for approx. one hour on the operations of the school and key information for the following year before enjoying morning tea provided by our PFA.
This is of paramount importance to staff, students and families in our school community. We understand the busy lifestyle families’ lead and we work hard on providing various methods of communication for families to stay abreast of key information pertaining to operations, education and community news. We provide a weekly newsletter, released each Wednesday via hard copy, digital copy in email form or both as requested. The newsletter is also posted on our FREE Miners Rest Primary School App (available on iPhone & Android) and on our website, www.minersrestps.vic.edu.au. Our FREE App provides key features for convenience including, but not exclusive to:
- Events / Calendar
- Kindergarten news
- Absence notification option
- Late Arrival / Early Departure
- Weekly Newsletter
- Push Notification – Reminders!
- Email Staff option
- Unit Emails
Our website contains general information for prospective families, as well as enrolment options…! Staff provide Unit Emails twice per term to student families, with relevant information to their year level. The information outlines curriculum content, special days & events and reminders. In addition, staff from specialist areas update you on course content and essential information relevant to your child/ren. Staff are generally available for brief discussion before and after school, however we encourage bookings be made via the school office for more in depth conversations regarding your child/ren. We hold a weekly assembly at 2:45pm each Friday to celebrate the week’s achievers and remind students/families of what’s ahead the following week. Additional ways in which we communicate to keep you informed:
- information evening for each year level at the beginning of each year
- distribution of policies as required eg. Fees policy, safe & respectful school communities policy
- welcome BBQ evening
- working bees
- PFA fundraisers
We are most fortunate to have a vibrant and pro-active School Council at Miners Rest Primary School. Our Council is 15 members strong with an additional ‘community member’ as well. Mr David Harris is the current President and is well supported by members with a vast array of experience and expertise. Our School Council meets a minimum of eight times per year with an Annual General Meeting each March. We also form sub-committees from its members who apply their expertise in their chosen fields to:
- Publicity; and
- Master Planning
We are empowered in our role and regularly undertake School Council training provided by DET, which supports our journey with intent and high-level productivity.
Again, our PFA are an active and energetic group who do immeasurable good for our school community. They are a positive group of approx. 25-30 members. Mrs Alyson McPhan is the current President, ably supported by “a cast of thousands!” The PFA raise precious funds for the School & Kindergarten each year, which all gets put directly back into facilities and resources for students/users of our setting. The PFA do much more than just fundraise, and are generally the heartbeat of the school, often catering and volunteering hours in the community on behalf of the students and staff. When you join our fantastic community, please consider joining, we’re always keen for new ideas!!